Brand Recognition in the Hotel & Travel Industry
The ‘Hotel & Travel Brands Quiz’ from Hotel Speak launched in July 2016 and ended in September 2017. During this time, a total of 446 people completed the quiz and we thought it would be fun to take a look at the results to see just how well participants recognised the hotel and travel brands featured. See also – Hotel Language Quiz!
Of the 446 who completed the quiz, the average score was an impressive 60%, with an average time spent on the quiz of just under 3 minutes.
- 51% of participants recognised UK Hotel chain Travelodge’s logo, despite missing text.
- 39% of participants knew Citizen M’s brand tagline, ‘welcome to a new kind of hotel’, impressive for a brand that’s still under 10 years old.
- 73% of participants knew that Mercure, Novotel and Sofitel were brands owned by AccorHotels.
- Illustrating the recognisability of colour and shape within a logo, an impressive 83% of participants recognised Best Western‘s old branding, despite the majority of the logo being distorted.
- A particularly challenging question, only 35% of participants correctly guessed the colour of the owl’s eyes in TripAdvisor’s logo – one red, one green.
- Highlighting the importance of font within a logo, 57% of participants correctly guessed Hilton’s logo, despite 4 very similar versions presented. Worryingly, 1% guessed that their logo used the ‘Comic Sans’ font!
- The importance of iconography within a logo was illustrated by 46% of participants correctly answering that Premier Inn is the hotel chain that features a moon and stars within their logo.
- Principal Hayley hotels were perhaps right to rebrand to ‘Principal Hotels’ in September 2016; only 30% of participants correctly guessed what the PH in their logo stood for, with 36% guessing ‘Prime Heritage’.
- Transcending the importance of iconography and illustrating the brand recognition of one of travel’s biggest brands, 85% correctly identified Expedia’s logo featuring a aeroplane, despite 3 other answers featuring a very strong association with the airline industry.
- Again, illustrating the power of a well-established and global brand of over 80 years, 86% of participants correctly guessed the Sheraton brand from a simple ‘S’ surrounded by a crest.
1. Name the brand? (A UK Hotel Chain)
- Travelodge – 51%
- Premier Inn – 17%
- Novotel – 17%
- Radisson Blu – 15%
2. Who’s brand uses the tagline: _______ says: welcome to a new kind of hotel (A Global Hotel Chain)
- Citizen M – 39%
- Nobu Hospitality – 29%
- Tune Hotels – 19%
- Motel 6 – 13%
3. Mercure, Novotel, Sofitel… are all brands owned by?
- AccorHotels – 73%
- Intercontinental Hotels Group – 12%
- Starwood Hotels & Resorts – 9%
- Hilton – 5%
4. Can you recognise this distorted brand logo? (A Global Hotel Chain)
- Best Western – 83%
- Comfort Inn – 6%
- Holiday Inn – 5%
- Days Inn – 5%
5. What colour are the owl’s eyes in the TripAdvisor logo?
- One Red, One Green – 35%
- Both Green – 32%
- One Orange, One Green – 24%
- One Orange, One Red – 9%
6. Which is the correct logo for Hilton Hotels & Resorts?
Only 57% correctly guessed – the far left logo.
7. What features in the Premier Inn logo? (A UK Hotel Chain)
- A moon and stars – 46%
- A head on a pillow – 21%
- Clouds and night sky – 18%
- A sun and blue sky – 14%
8. What does the PH stand for in the logo below? (A former UK Hotel Chain)
- Prime Heritage – 36%
- Principal Hayley – 30%
- Principal Heritage – 24%
- Principle Hatley – 11%
9. What travel brand uses this logo?
- Expedia – 85%
- Cheapflights – 6%
- Skyscanner – 5%
- Flight Centre – 3%
10. Which hotel brand incorporates the S below?
- Sheraton Hotels & Resorts – 86%
- Shangri-La Hotels & Resorts – 7%
- Sofitel – 6%
- Steinberger Hotels – 1%